Supporting our partners.
The Northwestern Mutual Foundation focuses funding locally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on education support and projects serving the Amani, Metcalfe Park and Muskego Way neighborhoods. National funding is limited to programs and projects that align with our Childhood Cancer Program.
Deadlines for Northwestern Mutual Foundation 2020 fiscal year funding:
Stage 2 Applications
January 10, 2020
February 7, 2020
No late applications will be accepted. Our 2020 fiscal year runs July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2020. All Letters of Inquiry/applications must be submitted online. Please review eligibility guidelines prior to applying online.
Requirements for funding from Northwestern Mutual Foundation
- Organization has a tax-exempt classification under the 501(c)(3) of U.S. Internal Revenue Code
- Organization is U.S.-based and serves clients located in the U.S.
- Organization does not advocate, support, or practice activities inconsistent with Northwestern Mutual’s non-discrimination policies, whether based on race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran
What the Northwestern Mutual Foundation does not fund
- Individuals, for any purpose
- Organizations that are not tax-exempt under paragraph 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code
- Organizations located outside the U.S. or those that primarily serve clients located outside the U.S.
- Grants that would represent more than 10 percent of an organization’s annual operating budget
- Endowment, debt-reduction or debt-retirement campaigns
- Capital campaigns, unless invited to apply by Foundation leadership based on philanthropic interests and priorities
- Groups or organizations that will re-grant Foundation support to other organizations or individuals, expect for those approved on an exception-only basis
- School or community athletic events or team, bands or choirs, including requests for equipment, uniforms, travel or any in-kind donations to support special events
- Labor, religious or fraternal groups that do not provide services to the community at large
- Organizations that do not align with Northwestern Mutual’s non-discrimination provide as provided above
Two distinct passwords are used to begin a new application
1. The password for your account on the application portal
- Your username is your email address
- On the Sign In page, you can create an account if you are new to the system OR reset your password for your existing account if you can’t remember the password
2. The specific application password
- Included in your invitation to apply
- Enter after using your account password to login to the application system
Two links access the application system
1. The application link is included in your invitation to apply - only use this link to start a new application
- If you use it to return to an application in progress, it will start another application and appear that you have lost your work. The first application still exists in the system.
2. The system portal link - https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_1168/
- Use this link to return to the system and continue working on an application that is in progress.